Women get attacked by men everyday. We need to be able to protect ourselves. Women may not be able to beat men with strength, but there are smart moves that can be learned. Yesterday, I went to a self defence class to learn some techniques. I think every women should take a class. It doesn't have to be expensive. I went to a women's shelter and it cost me $5 for 2 & 1/2 hours.
Violence against women is inexcusable, but there are some things we can do to protect ourselves:
1. Take a self defence class.
2. Don't walk alone at night, especially isolated areas with no street lights, for example, in forests, parks etc
3. Don't hitchhike.
4. Don't assume that an area is safe.
5. Be confident & alert.
6. Don't go home with strangers, especially if you've been drinking.
7. Lock your car & house doors and windows.
8. Keep a rape alarm with you.
9. Be aware of your surroundings, (ie) where you are, who's around you, etc
10.Use your feminine instincts. If something doesn't feel right, it probably isn't. Walk away.
11.Call the police straight away. Don't wait.
12. Call out "fire!" instead of "rape" or "help" ~ I've heard people say this is what you should do, but would people REALLY not help if someone's being attacked??
13.Put up a fight! Don't let them take you to a second location.
14.Don't meet up with strangers from the internet.
15.Park in a well-lit and secure area.
16.If there's a van parked alongside your car, get in from the passengers side. (A lot of women are grabbed in parking lots)
Please let me know if there are anymore ways to protect ourselves.
PS. We spell defence with a 'c' in England & Canada. I'm not a bad speller!!!
Please leave comments & thanks for reading!**